Tuesday, January 11, 2011

And another day of NO answers.

Well we went and met with yet another neurosurgeon today.  From the research that I have done, this one appeared to have the most experience and expertise with hydrocephalus.  And I still believe that this is the case.  However, he was very negative.  And bottom line is that no one can tell us how things are going to pan out for Austin.  The brain is an amazing organ, and we just won't know if and what kind of damage may be occuring until he is here (and maybe still not even for a few years after that).   Back to square one with finding a neurosurgeon.  We have two contenders....one that probably has more experience and definitely a better bedside manner....but the other is a lot closer to home and would mean a lot of less traveling.

I have started to network with other families who have been through what we are going through.  I found this to be the single most helpful thing when it came to dealing with Jake's diagnosis because doctors can only tell you so much...its the parents who have dealt directly with these issues that become our biggest assets.  I'm learning so much.  And I'm happy that we have some time to do our research and get things prepared as well as we can before Austin arrives. 

And how can I forget to mention all of the prayers and support we are getting?  Our family and friends are the best!  I have received many emails from people I don't even know, saying they are praying for Austin and our family.  The power of prayer is just so amazing to me and I know that all of your prayers are being heard.  I can't even tell you how much Kevin and I appreciate all of this.

I overheard Kevin talking to someone on the phone last week and he said something that has stuck in my mind.  He said maybe the reason that we have already been through so much with Jake was to prepare us for Austin.  And it couldn't have made more sense to me.  I can't imagine if this was our first pregnancy or if we didn't already have a child with special needs, how this would have devastated us. But just looking at Jake everyday has already showed us how wrong doctors can be and how blessed our child has made us.  One couldn't ask for a better little boy.  And he is going to be the best big brother!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment