Saturday, June 16, 2012

Life in the fast lane....

Life continues in the fast lane for us in Weyville lately.  This, coupled with a SLOW, non functioning laptop does not make for easy updates!!!  So apologies about that.  I feel like I have so much to post, but by the time I actually get to sit down and do it, there are like twenty other things to write about so all the little things don't get on here.  I honestly don't even know where to begin.

Lets see...

Well, in the midst of everything last month, I forgot to mention the second biggest milestone in Austin's life (second to his 1 year birthday of course)...his ONE YEAR SHUNT ANNIVERSARY!  It was on May 10, 2012.  And just like me neglecting to mention it on my blog, we kinda forgot about it ourselves.  You see the shunt is just so much a part of everyday life with Austin that we sometimes forgot thats it there.  (Kinda like Jake's ears..)  I love, love, how I can say that about the shunt.  I remember this time last year being such a nervous wreck with it and everything that came along with it.  Now, its just one of those things thats there.  Kevin still isn't that comfortable touching it (although he may tell you otherwise), but for me, there's no part of it that I'm nervous to touch, feel, scratch, pick at, whatever.

On May 25, 2012, he has his tubes put in.  I can't even begin to tell you what an easy surgery that was!  He was away from us, including recovery time, for a total of 10 minutes.  Don't get me wrong, for any parent who has not been through the surgeries that we have been through (two separate 4 hour surgeries for Jake and brain surgery for Austin!), I'm sure a 10 minute procedure is a big deal.  And any parent worries about any surgery, but for this one...literally I walked back to the lobby to meet up with Kevin after they took Austin in the operating room and I had about 5 minutes to read my book and the receptionist was saying "Austin's parents...they are all done, you can go back now and see him!".  And I don't know if it was my wishful thinking, but I swear he was babbling more within a few hours of surgery.  Still waiting for those words to come, but he is starting to form more consonants and sounds together, so I'm sure they will.  He understands us for sure.  Worst part now is that he has to wear ear plugs around the water (including bath time) for the next six months, which of course he absolutely HATES!

Physically he is doing more things daily.  He now can climb up the stairs, walk holding onto one of our hands, and get into a kids chair by himself.  And man, he fast crawling.  And he loves to play catch, and brrrm brrrm with cars.   So funny.  He is so expressive with his face too.  Cracks me up all the time, but boy is he demanding!  He goes from happy kid to screaming as loud as he can for attention or when he doesn't get something he wants.

And as for Jake....he is a Pre-K graduate as of wednesday!  So proud of him.  He didn't start hearing until he was 14 months old, is one of the youngest in his class and is now going to mainstream Kindergarten in the fall!

Life has been pretty darn good to us and I'm so blessed and thankful.  I'm hoping my "followers" still get a chance to check my blog every once and a while.   And I know that there are still many prayers coming our way, which I'm very thankful for.  We are very blessed by these two boys of ours who are smart, loving, and an absolute joy!

Here are some videos from the past few weeks or so...(don't mind the music, didn't know how to change it!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment