Thursday, April 14, 2011

He's here....

I can't even begin to describe how we have felt these past two days.  Austin arrived kicking and screaming loudly at 1:28pm on tuesday weighing in at a hefty 8 pounds, 3 ounces.  We got a call that morning to come to the hospital a little earlier because they had an opening.  Kev and I were a nervous wreck the whole time at the hospital but things went very smoothly.  When Austin was born, he was quickly whisked off by the NICU team for a once-over before being brought back into the room for mom to take a quick peek at him.  Then him and daddy went up to the NICU.  I went to recovery and had to see Austin the rest of the night through pictures from daddy. 

The neonatologists took one glance at him and were like "hmmm...this is not what we expected".  Austin looked normal and was acting completely normal.  His head circumference was still within the normal growth chart (at the very top of it, but still on it nonetheless!).  He went for a MRI that evening and it showed extra fluid in the ventricles, but nothing overly alarming.  The doctors updated the neuro surgeon and it was decided that Austin would not have surgery on wednesday morning for a shunt. 

I finally got up to see my lil man at 5am on wednesday morning.  He's gorgeous.  All the nurses didn't even know why he was up in the NICU.  He didn't need any medicine, oxygen, IV or anything.  The good news continued on wednesday as we met with the neurosurgeon.  She said that at this point, it does appear as though he will need a shunt, but there is no point to rush it and she will see him on an out-patient basis and maybe schedule the surgery in a month.  She thought he was doing great otherwise and wasn't showing any signs of neurological issues.

Today, we met with the neuro surgeon again as well as the neurologist.  And again, were told how well he was doing and how he really has surprised a lot of doctors.  From all of his ultrasound scans, this was not the baby everyone had anticipated.  The neurologist even went as far to tell us that he didn't even know if Austin would need a shunt at all and that he would do another MRI in a month and maybe they would talk about options other than a shunt.  He suggested maybe getting more opinions from the previous consultation neurosurgeons, as they might have different opinions looking at the new MRI images. 

They also did an echocardiogram to follow up on the heart regurgitation.  It came back perfect!  No concerns with the heart. 

And to top off all of our good news...Austin passed his newborn hearing screening with flying colors!!! 

So, today at around 4pm, Austin "graduated" from the NICU and joined mommy downstairs in the regular maternity ward!  And.....both of us are going home tomorrow!!!! 

Can't even begin to tell you what a true miracle this all has been.  We are not out of the woods by any means but I know for a fact that all of the prayers out there have given us this outcome.  Please continue to pray for him....such a little blessing!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment